Friday, January 3, 2014


I picture February as dark and empty and a little lower than the rest of the months. It has a hill and one tree leaning to the west without leaves, with bark that is the darkest wet grey. It lives in my mind as the cold place pressing against the house I grew up in, somewhat mingled with Faulkner, soup and my little sister.

Every winter memory I have is sharper, blazing with color or sound. I see Winter as God's highlighter. He says "be still and watch."

See that tree? Did you know how intricately its branches grow? Here's some snow. See it now?

Do you hear that bird in the summer? Its much clearer and louder in the winter when the rest of the birds are gone.

That river. Did you know that this is the part that sits still enough to freeze? And that this part jumps up to meet the trees? Here's some ice. Do you see it now?

Walk outside in the muted landscape. Every noise is clearer, and silence is thicker.

Listen to me.

Sunshine on the snow and ice are almost blinding. And a grey day forces you to dream.

Do you see the simple power? Frozen water can cause a city to stand still or shatter a tree.

A child's happiness, a neighbor's creativity, the generosity of someone with a shovel and a heart - all highlighted.

And I am grateful.

Origin of GRATEFUL

obsolete grate pleasing, thankful, from Latin gratus — more at grace



© 2013 Sarah Fisher


1 comment:

  1. Yes! This is how I feel about winter. No matter how hard it is, its beauty is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete